"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Time Travel

If I could go back in time
I’d write this poem earlier today.
I’d arrive promptly at 5 AM
And tell my other self, "Relax. Sleep in."
(Which I already did anyway.)
Then I’d get to work.
After composing a gem of literary genius
(Unlike this sorry specimen)
I’d tackle the rest of my to-do list.
No distractions would turn me from my path.
By this late hour (the second time)
I’d be sound asleep after a day well spent.

But I know myself better than that.
If I could go back in time
I’d probably put it off till tomorrow
And the next day and the next
Thinking I still had plenty of time.


~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment