"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sermon

Strange how influential words can be:
Words can lift and heal, or crush and break.
Today words came from me that cut and raked
and sorry though I was, I would not yield.
Then a man spoke words as if for me:
Serve and love. Live the golden rule.
And suddenly my mind and heart felt whole.
How can I be crushed and yet be healed?


~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(This thought wanted to come out in iambic pentameter. It was interesting to play around with a different rhyme scheme and some slant rhyme, although I'm still not quite satisfied with the result.)

No comments:

Post a Comment