"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Monday, April 18, 2011

Admission

On the ticket:
Please admit one.
All right, there are things I’m willing to admit.
I admit I’ve eaten cookie dough after everyone’s asleep.
I admit I’ve never seen the appeal of auto races.
I admit I don’t like sprouts or tofu or sushi.
I admit I have no talent for remembering faces.
Not real enough.
Please admit one.

Not real enough? Then how about this?
I admit I was mean to that senior year roommate.
I admit I don’t clean the tub often enough.
I admit I get impatient and way too judgmental.
I admit I don’t want to admit any worse stuff.
Getting closer,
But please admit one.

No, that’s enough. Any farther and we’ll find
Things I don’t want to bring into the light.
Fear. Sadness. Selfishness. Pride.
Loneliness. Pettiness. Laziness. Lies.
Save the ticket, then. Grow up a little. Wait.
Admission good for any future date.



~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment