"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Friday, April 22, 2011

Magnetic poetry

I took paper and pen to the children's museum today, hoping to find inspiration for today's poem while keeping an eye on several children besides my own. In one area there's a wall with words on magnetic strips like a big version of the refrigerator poetry sets you can buy at bookstores. I decided to try writing a poem using only those words, and only once each, as if using the strips to spell out the poem. ("And" appeared on 2 strips and so can be used twice.)

Here are the words:
all and and are as ask at because bird but by dark day family for frog go has home how if in -ing is jump like little me music night or play run saw see she that the to together up want we went were wish with you

Here's what I came up with. I'm hoping the kids may be interested in trying the same thing; if so, I'll add their poems later on.

#1

you and me together
with seesaw wish and want
is little how we like to go
all jumping in the dark


#2

we run at the frog
because jumping is like play.
ask if she saw how.


#3

you ask me if all day is dark
and see how night has run
but like the little family
together we are home


~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment