"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Monday, April 11, 2011

Private Library

(Inspired by "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" by William Butler Yeats)


Open the door and enter, come into my library,
A stately room and peaceful, though simple in its taste.
No outside noise intruding, but calm tranquility,
A room designed to discourage haste.

The walls are lined with bookshelves, with every book I need.
A table holds my notebooks, a place to sit and write.
Soft chairs invite discussion, or curling up to read,
And windows fill the room with light.

Open the door and enter, for here your time is free,
Free to learn and study, to dream and plan and find.
Set down any burdens, and stay a while with me,
And let the quiet refresh your mind.


~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(This is a response to the idea to write a poem of place. I wanted to keep the same rhythm and feel that Yeats's poem has, as well as writing about an ideal place where I can imagine being.)

No comments:

Post a Comment