"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Friday, April 6, 2012

Hiding

The dark chocolate candy bar
must be carefully placed
between the other items
so that none of it shows through the grocery bag.
Then it must be smuggled to the bedroom
with an air of nonchalance --
Just putting away the toothpaste,
Nothing to see here.
Then I lock the door.

I do not want to share.
I am tired of sharing.

So I eat my chocolate
like a jealous, greedy sneak,
listening for footsteps
and hurrying through the last bites in case I get caught.
It is delicious.

I hide the wrapper way down in the trash,
unlock the door and emerge,
guilty but not sorry,
to answer the calls of "Where's Mom?"


~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(From a prompt at Poetic Asides to write a hiding poem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment