"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Saturday, April 2, 2016

Teenagers

They say: “Leave me alone.”
They say: “You don’t care.”
They say: “Whatever.” With the tone of voice and the eye roll. “What-EVer.”

But I can’t leave them alone (not for long)
and I do care (so much, so so much)
and moms are bound to fight Whatever (at least for things that count).

So this time I get it right.
I don’t say anything.
I just think about when I said such things to my parents
and how someday my grandkids will say such things to theirs
but really we know:

we all care enough
not to leave each other alone
to face Whatever.

~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(From a prompt at Poetic Asides to write a "he said or she said" poem. And just for the record, my teenagers are definitely not like this all the time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment