"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Cooking and Conversation Do Not Mix

"Tuesday's still good for lunch with you"
Measure the flour, 1 cup, 2
"But now that the morning shift is free"
1 tablespoon sugar, 2, then 3
"I go in at 7 and open the store"
Uh . . . did I count 3? No . . . 3, and 4
"With 3 cashiers who start at 8"
Baking powder, 1 teaspoon . . . wait . . .
"And 2 of them get off at 1"
2, or 3? I might be done
"But 3 days a week, 1 starts at 9"
Salt, butter, milk, cross fingers, combine
"With a break at 2, then works till 6"
I hope I get biscuits instead of bricks
"So I think I can meet you at half past 10."
And I think I just ruined dinner again.

~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(From a prompt at NaPoWriMo to write a poem about food. I'm not completely happy with it, but I liked trying to convey the feeling of losing count while cooking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment