"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson



Sunday, March 27, 2011

The April Garden

A poem a day?
But what do I say?
And how to come up with so many?

I first have to find
A thought in my mind
And some days I doubt I have any.

I'll start with a seed
(Of flower or weed)
For sprouting and branching and linking,

And then when I know
The words that will grow,
I might understand what I'm thinking.


~ Tamary Shoemaker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(This poem started when I was thinking about NaPoWriMo. The phrase "A poem a day" came to mind, and the rhythm immediately led on to the thought "but what do I say?" The rest grew out of trying to express the feeling of creating a poem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment